Implementing changes in a business could be very difficult but even more if employees are not in favour of the changes. By knowing why employees might be resistant to change, effective communication strategies and media could be developed in advance to overcome any obstacles and to adequately inform employees about the changes (also read my post on how to communicate changes).
Here are the five most common reasons why employees might resist the changes you want to implement in your business:
- Employees do not really see or understand the need for any changes.
- Fear of management changing the status quo.
- Reluctance to work with other colleagues or in different teams.
- Employees not willing to take on more responsibilities.
- Employees might fear retrenchments, early retirement or other issues that might threaten their long-term security in the business.